OK, so you’ve dropped the little ones at school, your dinner is in the slow cooker, your laundry is on the line, you’ve done a couple of hours in your part-time job, your beds are made, sugar you are actually dressed in normal clothes AND you have mascara on
…so it’s me-time and time for you to cosy on up with your new best friend on the net…your blog
…so what can you do quickly to improve it before all the above starts again?
well take a look below, here you’ll find a few little tips and tricks that will take you not very long at all that can make a difference to getting you from one reader to just a few more :-)
Beach Cottage Sweet Blogging
Ten Quick Ways to Improve Your Blog…for Girls
- Link, Link and Link again…quick and easy…get happy with internal linking…next time you publish a post make sure it’s got at least one or two links within it to other places on your blog…and make sure that that link is relevant…this will make your posts more ‘clickable’ and will send your reader or readers if you are lucky to relevant and interesting places on your blog….it will get those readers clicking around, spending time & enjoying your blog more…and it takes less than a couple of minutes to do.
- Do a Social Network shout-out at the end of your posts…utilize social networking and get those readers that you do have hooking up with you in other places…hopefully they’ll re-tweet your post and pass it on….getting you more clicks and more traffic and if they sign up for your feed the next time you post they’ll be there straight away before you can say social network.
- Just put a post up that you think is fantabulous? With great pictures and content that is unique and an idea that is your own? Well take a couple of minutes to email yr fabulous post to a fabulous blogger..make sure it is purrrfect…introduce yourself briefly (don’t go over the top, something along the lines of Hi I’m Sarah, I just blogged this great makeover you might be interested in featuring…if you’re not no worries, if you are and need more info let me know…I’ve attached a couple of relevant pics and a link to the post all about it)..as simple and as brief as that…(I get these all the time and some people write a book about their wonderful post, don’t do that)…do it right and you never know they might just pick you to feature next time! This is a topic in itself in Sweet Blogging, you can read much more on this here.
- The dreaded Keyword word – ok every single professional business blogger thingy I have ever read says that peppering your blog with keywords will shoot it up the rankings like nothing else. But do you even know what your keywords are and are you even interested? Well if you are serious about getting popular you should be apparently…so, find out what your key words are – one way you can do this is by looking at your stats and seeing how people found your blog….for example if you write about vintage tablecloths and old furniture the chances are that someone somewhere will have found you by searching on ‘vintage tablecloths’ so think about what other words people might find you and use them in your posts and throughout your blog. And a tip...don’t use another bloggers blog name for your key words…not cool,using someone elses blog name or trio of words to get traffic to your blog will stand out like a sore thumb…not cool
- Spend a quick few minutes analysing your stats…ok so there might be only a few readers on your stats...you might be whooping for joy if you get to 100, or 50 or 10,000 views in a day…but* wait, why is this of interest? Well spend a few minutes taking a look at the why’s and wherefore’s …did they all come in at a certain time of the day, do they come from the other side of the world, are you popular in New Zealand or the UK…if so the peak times on your blog will be different…I know when my comments come and they are not when the mummy’s are out on the school run…or when they are making dinner, my visits come when people reading my blog have done their chores, or got to work or sat down in the evening after everything is done for the day and then use what you found out to your advantage in the timing of your next post...if you post at the time you get most hits there are more chances the post will get shared..
- Write something interesting about yourself…just about every single business blogging site will tell you to stick to the subject, to re-write your posts in a different way, share your expertise again & again, that your post MUST provide a solution to someone’s problem…yawn, yawn, yawn…….hey we are girls here…sometimes we just want pretty….women with homes and kids and who love info on other girls…just like in life men couldn’t care less where you got your latest fragranced candle from, they are more worried about how much it cost them, here women are interested in where you got that candle from and in knowing more about you, not necessarily just that you like painting things white. For instance the first time I blogged about shoes, afterwards I thought what the heck did I do that for…shoes have nothing to do with my blog and what it’s about…but just like me the women* reading my blog just lurve shoes…and I was amazed at how many people emailed me about the shoes wanting to get their hands on a pair, shoot even the company who sold me the shoes featured my blog post on their website…and that post was very popular, still is now and continues to generate traffic on my blog…so what are you diggin’ that your women readers might just dig too? Just happened upon the most to-die-for shirt with a ruffle…blog it baby.
- Post about your fave blogs…easy peasy…and will take you seconds and you won’t have to worry about taking photographs…shout-out your favourite blogs, it’s a quick and easy way to put you up in the big girls playground…I can assure they’ll be looking at their stats to see who is linking to them and if you give them a few clicks, you never know they might just add you to their blogroll or better still do a shout out for you.
- Where have your readers come from? OK so you have 100 readers, chances are that they are not all randoms…they will be coming from comments you have left, or blog parties you have joined or from social networks you are playing around in…look at where your traffic is coming from and make sure you go back there again to the places that work, and comment again and interact.
- Do a side bar de-clutter…I do this all the time…a quick few minutes to chuck out the chintz…look at what’s working, what isn’t…do you have old blogging party buttons on there, advertising that makes your blog look horrid…ditch ‘em…have a move around, it takes minutes.
- Zest-up your About Page…take a look at your About Me page…is it without a picture, is it still relevant..does it give lots of good information on why someone might want to follow your blog…spend 10 minutes or so tweaking it…make it look hot!
And so that’s it from me and Beach Cottage Sweet Blogging Tips for Girls
I will be back with more soon…oh and a little birdie told me that there’s a Beach Cottage Blogging E-Course in the pipeline for those of you who want more…it’s rammed full of information for real girls with real lives on how to blog and not all about turning you into a super-power and yelling business jargon at you every five minutes…it’s me sharing all I’ve learnt in the last couple of years in this crazy thing they call blogging…